Tuesday, September 29, 2009

MIKA: The Boy Who Knew Too Much



The first time I came across Mika’s music, I was a senior in high school and my choir director handed us an arranged piece-Mika’s "Happy Ending". Initially I thought it was a pretty song (and a kind of weird music video) but it grew on me, and I would occasionally YouTube some of his other music to see if I liked it. And I did! It was unique and totally new to me! Never before had I listened to a male artist who could transition so easily into falsetto and back down again, and make it sound great! Once I got to college, I found out one of my roommates was a Mika fan too, and could often be spotted rocking out to Mika as we neti-potted in the bathroom. So when I heard that he had a new album coming out this fall, I was pretty excited.

Mika’s sophomore album, The Boy Who Knew Too Much hit stores last week on Tuesday. According to my highly reputable source (Wikipedia), Mika pitches the new album's songs as "gothic Tim Burton-esque fantasies.” This description is spot-on. The album reflects not only the fun parts of being in your teens, but the hard parts too. Each time you listen to the album, you’ll take more away from it. For all of you new to Mika’s work, or uncertain what to expect in this album, here’s a run-down of the tracks:

1. We Are Golden- I love this song! By far my favorite on the album. Mika says this song is “about being a teenager and hiding . . . in order to make yourself feel like you have value.” But the song doesn’t make me want to hide away at all. When it comes on I feel like running through my dorm and starting a dance party in the lounge. Plus the gospel choir that joined in at the end pretty much makes my day.

2. Blame It On the Girls- A fun little pop song that is reminiscent of classic late 90’s pop groups like the Spice Girls and S Club 7. Tells you to look on the bright side of life.

3. Rain- Could be the next big chart-topper in all the clubs with it’s pulsing techno-esque beat.

4. Dr. John- A song about a character Mika made up in his teens. He said that when “things went wrong I could always turn to the doctor.” Reminds me almost of something that would be sung at a summer camp because of the happy-go-lucky feel of the harmonies in the piano.

5. I See You- Another of my favorites on the album. I get lost in it! Such a beautiful little love song.

6. Blue Eyes- Has a very Caribbean feel to it throughout the piece. If you listened to the harmonies in the instruments alone, you would never think this song is about heart-break and sorrow.

7. Good Gone Girl- All about good girls who are flaunting their naughty sides. Snarcastic “oohs” in the chorus are reminiscent of mainstream early 60’s preppy pop music. The kind that makes you think of the Beach Boys and "California Girls".

8. Touches You- Seems like an ode to the late King of Pop’s song, "Black and White". Both the harmonies and general tone of the lyrics remind me of Jackson’s hit.

9. By the Time- This is the type of song you would listen to if you’re feeling blue and just want to curl up in a blanket in your dark room and cry. The music could be compared to Imogen Heap’s "Hide and Seek". Probably sounds so similar because Imogen herself is featured in this lovely song.

10. One Foot Boy- Another fun song that’s very danceable. Not the most memorable song on the album, but nice nonetheless. Lyrics talk about how wonderful it is to be independent. A concept many of us aged 15-25 can relate to.

11. Toy Boy- "A Wandering Minstrel I" . . . but not. The whole song is one big metaphor and intended to get the listeners to think on what mainstream society’s views of acceptable relationships are.

12. Pick Up Off the Floor- This song has a very bluesy feel to it. This song could easily be sung in a sultry nightclub. The lyrics are telling girls what any good best friend would. “Don’t worry about it girl! All boys are stupid! Forget him!”

13. Lover Boy- Begins with a wonky piano from the boot-leggin’ bar. The lyrics talk about how love is fickle and blind.

14. Lady Jane- This song is a fairy-tale. But this isn’t your classic, happy-ending Disney fairy-tale, people! The prince and the princess don’t end up married happily ever after.

Mika’s The Boy Who Knew Too Much is a fantastic album! Equal to or perhaps greater than his first. Good on the first listen, and it only gets better with repetition.

~Ally

No comments:

Post a Comment