Friday, June 4, 2010

Kate Linné: A Female Musical Force



As a woman I struggle to find singers with whom I can identify. Half the time they’re either 14 and under the massive thumb of Disney or scantily clad to a point that’s not sexy, just disgusting. Where’s the attitude, the dignity, and (most importantly) the talent? For once can’t we have a female singer whose music is fun, boobs aren’t hanging out, and can actually sing?...Oh wait, we do have one. Her name is Kate Linné, straight out of Nashville and an up-and-coming musical force to be reckoned with.

First of all, let’s get the most basic of basic questions out of the way. Why are you doing what you’re doing: making music?

I just love writing songs...I think it would be impossible for me to hear an amazing piece of music or see a great band without thinking, “Oh my God, I want to do that!” It still happens to me every day.

What genre(s) would you consider your material, or are you not a fan of labels?

We have decided that the best way to describe it is “electropop.” I love pop music...I’m proud to put myself in that category.

How long have you been singing (not just professionally)?

I have been singing since I could walk. My mom says I used to put on a dress and prance in circles around our house with a toy plate in my mouth singing songs about what I was doing. If I had a child like that I would probably be worried, but I guess ended up turning out OK.

Who do you consider your influences?

This is tough to answer because they’re so diverse. People like Fiona Apple and Ben Gibbard taught me that the best music needs to say something, but then Britney and Timbaland taught me that music also needs to be FUN. I think both things are equally important. One band that really knew how to incorporate both was No Doubt. I loved them...Gwen Stefani is still one of my idols.

If you weren’t making music what would you be doing?

I would probably be in Entertainment Law. Two words: pencil skirts.

Do you write your own lyrics? If so, what provides your biggest inspiration for your lyrics?

I write all my own lyrics...I draw the most inspiration from my own personal experiences and the lives and of people around me. I tend to write a lot about love, because that always seems to be where life gets the most dramatic.

In September your song “Into Me” was featured on the show ‘Greek’. How was your song chosen, out the thousands of potential tracks?

Honestly, I don’t really know. From what I have heard, the music director just loved the track. I was incredibly flattered that he chose my song from the the thousands of others that were submitted.

What’s the greatest bit of advice anyone has given you in terms of making your mark in the music industry?

There was one night where I was sitting in the office of a publishing company in Nashville after some industry event and one of my friends (who had a few margaritas) gave me this giant lecture about the business. He said “The absolute worst thing you can do for yourself is to have a fallback.” To make anything happen in an industry that is so competitive, you need that little extra push that desperation gives you. You have to go for it 100% and never hold anything back. I also want to make sure that I point out that this is REALLY scary. However, I still believe that’s what you have to do.

What bit of advice do you have to offer to aspiring performers?

See above. I stand by his advice.

What do you think you bring to the table that gives you an edge over other aspiring singers? In other words, why should we pay attention to your music?

I think this is really an issue for the fans to decide. I just want to be the soundtrack for everyone’s good time...if I can make people want to dance and be happy, then I’M happy.

What’s the strangest concert experience you’ve ever had?

Wow. I don’t know if you can print this, but I went to see A Perfect Circle once and Maynard James Keenan started “self servicing” on stage in the middle of the show. I was three people back from the stage. It freaked me out.

Many musical acts say that we’re they’re from has somehow influenced who they are as an artist. How has coming from Tennessee shaped you, in terms of your music
?

Moving to Nashville taught me that it is actually possible to write songs for a living. Once I got here, my ambitions turned into from dreams into goals.

If you could share the stage with one singer or band (just one!) who would you pick and why?

I want to go back in time and be in No Doubt! But, in the phase before they were a big deal...it would be awesome to play a show in some packed, sweaty club where the crowd was just going nuts.

Who’s currently rocking your iPod/CD player?

La Roux.

What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced working on the local scene?

There’s not much of a dance music scene here...I wish I had more people to write and nerd out about programming techniques with. I also need to hang out with more gay guys...the best electronica here is at the gay bars, and no one will ever go with me! So sad.

Anything you’d like to say to those who tried (or still do try) discouraging you from accomplishing your dream?

I see no point in acknowledging those people, this interview included.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

Hopefully I will still be writing, producing, and touring with an amazing band. I have always wanted to tour in Europe, and if I get the chance to do that I will be a very happy camper. I would also like to have a kick-ass home studio and a giant shoe closet.

What are your next big plans for your music career?

My new manager and I are putting together a pretty exciting calendar for the rest of this year...stay tuned.

Her music can be found here at her MySpace, http://www.myspace.com/katelinnemusic. Her EP ‘Where I Fell’ is also available at CDBaby, http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/katelinne.

~Juno

No comments:

Post a Comment