Monday, May 10, 2010

Shout-out to The Boss

Sorry for being out of touch for a while, guys.

I just have a quick shout-out to leave: to the song "Thunder Road" by Bruce Springsteen.

There are few songs that evoke feelings of desperation, loneliness, hope, and freedom all at once, and this is one. I would particularly recommend the version by Hayward Williams, which feels as lonely as the road Bruce describes, but in a softer, reminiscent sort of way. Whichever version you listen to, the song is a classic, and one that I believe nearly everyone can relate to in some capacity (unless maybe you hate driving—or *ahem* can't); I think I can assume everyone has wanted to run away even for a little while to avoid the problems in one’s life; this song captures the essence of this yearning for something new and better, somewhere else.

Instructions for the reader:

  1. Unearth your parents’ Boss CDs (or your own; I’m making assumptions here)
  2. Burn a copy (in case step 3 goes poorly and said CD gets wrecked)
  3. Go for a long drive, turn it on, and breathe. A lot.
  4. Revel in the sheer greatness of The Boss.

I mean, c’mon.

“Well now I'm no hero

That's understood

All the redemption I can offer, girl

Is beneath this dirty hood

With a chance to make it good somehow

Hey what else can we do now?

Except roll down the window

And let the wind blow back your hair . . .

Heaven's waiting down on the tracks”

Do lyrics really get any better than that?

~Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment