Monday, November 2, 2009

Whitney Duncan


Recently I’ve realized the shortage of quality female country artists out there. As a country fan and a girl, this is aggravating to say the least. I refuse to admit that men have mastered country better than women (it’s based on feelings, for Pete’s sake). However, I do find myself listening to men’s country more often. Why?. Because they’re music is less sappy, to be honest. To me, quality country either has to be sweet, fun, or wild. And I believe I’ve finally found another girl artist to add to my, however short, list of fave country women.
I had to google Whitney Duncan, though I already knew her music, and according to Wikipedia, she was a runner up in the US A Network TV show Nashville Star, which no one seems to have ever watched (please tell me if I’m wrong). She hasn’t come out with many CDs yet, just some singles and some 5-6 song length CDs (two, I believe). Regardless, she’s good. She isn’t big yet in Nashville, or anywhere, but my bet is she will be.
My personal favorite song of hers goes under the sweet, fun category. It’s called “Skinny dippin” (and it has a video, boys). It’s a laid-back, relaxing, summer song that makes you wish it was hot again . . . and/or you had some hot Southern boy to go swimming with, um, regardless of temperature. “Saw the water through the trees/and the way he looked at me/with that sly Southern grin/and he said ‘I hope you know how to swim,” she sings.
Second favorite song is called “So Sorry Mama”. It’s a wild song. No two ways about that one. And any girl who’s got a wild streak in her can relate to it. It’s all about that one bad boy that gets to her, no matter how hard she tries to resist. “I know you raised me better than this/But how can I resist? . . . I’m sorry, Mama/So sorry, Mama!” she goes. We feel your pain, girl.
Song number three on my list is called “Southern Girl.” It’s a mix of sweet and sour. She defines herself a won’t-take-no-crap Southern girl; “I was born in the blazing sun/And I ain’t afraid of anyone”, she asserts, daring the boys to come and try things with her, “a stubborn girl with attitude.”
OK. My fourth favorite is borderline sappy. I’m sorry; it’s an exception. It’s called “Who Needs the Night”, and it’s an “I’m in love with you” song, but if you can stomach that, check this one out. But I’ll put it under the sweet category. “If you can make a day feel this right,/who needs the night?” she sings. I won’t elaborate, to spare you, however much I like the song. Enjoy it for a few seconds, appreciate it, try not to throw up, then go listen to her other music.
And one last song, which apparently made the charts, is called “When I Said I Would”. It’s a decent song too; I’ll second the opinions of those who put it on the top 100. She appeals to everyone whose heart has ever been broken, singing “when I said I would/Tell me what was I thinking/I gave my heart without even blinking”.

Anyways, enjoy.

~Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment