Friday, November 27, 2009

Songs I Am Thankful For (Part II - Black Friday Edition)

by Juno

This has got to be one of the niftiest trends the MnM staff members have participated in. There are fewer things I’m more thankful for than music (maybe processed sugar . . . yeah, definitely processed sugar). These songs are in no particular order, as they all hold a place equally in my heart . . . .

WOW. That was corny!

1.) Green Day, “Basketcase”-
We all have those days where we feel like we’re losing it, am I right? What better song to rock out to when you’ve got that feeling than a pre-sellout Green Day classic? It’s got the punk vibe, the catchy lyrics, and the enjoyably offbeat voice of Billy Joe Armstrong.

2.) Emilie Autumn, “Swallow (Oyster Mix by Punto Omega)”-
I’m madly in love with this woman, so when I first heard the original “Swallow” I was heartbroken to find myself bored by it. Then I stumbled upon this remix and all was right in my universe again. It breathes new melodic life into the hauntingly good lyrics without being too “dancy”; still retaining the psychotic soul of the victorindutstrial songstress.
You can never go wrong with the classics, am I right? Of course. And fewer songs have more punch than this 70s gem. Energetic, in-your-face, and masterfully crafted this is one of the best songs of all time. No lie.

4.) Epica, “The Obsessive Devotion”-
Symphonic metal as a term sounds like an oxymoron, but as a genre it’s the epitome of Yin and Yang. Simone Simon, the talented mezzo-soprano lead singer, never fails to impress with her powerful vocals; the orchestral accompaniment, typical metal band instruments, and death growls are the perfect icing on this delicious Dutch cake.

5.) Johnny Cash, “One Piece At a Time”-
Probably the country legend’s second most humorous piece, following the Shel Silverstein-penned “Boy Named Sue”, it’s guaranteed to put a grin on your face.

6.) Arvo Pärt, “Für Alina”-
This Estonian minimalist/contemporary classical composer is one of the most respected in his field. This song, part of his “tintinnabuli” (from the Latin for “of bells” style) is absolutely enchanting. It reminds me of the Baltic State he hails from, painting a picture of a lovely dark winter forest. The simplicity and slow tempo make it one of the most relaxing songs you may ever listen to.

7.) P!nk, “God is a DJ”-
Ahhhh, the anthem of my middle school pre-teen years. While it was nice to have angsty music to relate to back then, it’s always refreshing to listen to a more upbeat song that fits you, and this was certainly mine. Not to mention she’s a contralto, which is always a bonus in my book.

8.) Koffin Kats, “Splatterhouse”-
This song reminds me of the chillingly good slasher film. If you’re a squeamish guy or gal then this band certainly isn’t for you, but horror/slasher/black comedy aficionados like myself will thoroughly enjoy this piece.

9.) Otep, “Menocide”-
If you’re looking for the ultimate girl power song, look no further. This female-fronted nu metal band’s lyrics are some of darkest you’ll ever hear, as they’re based on poetry and diary entries of their twisted-ly beautiful lead singer Otep Shamaya. This song came under fire and was billed by some as sexist towards men, but the singer released a statement saying that it’s not an attack on men, rather the disgusting and controlling sort of man every woman is unfortunately bound to encounter at some point in her life. Feminist metal at its finest!

Believe me when I say there are TONS more songs but I decided to cap it at 9, or else I’d get carried away. Happy Black Friday guys and dolls!

No comments:

Post a Comment