Saturday, July 25, 2009

Treadmill Dancing, Naked Bananas, and the Hamburglar: Awesome Music Videos

These are the music videos that I never get tired of watching. Some use really cool film techniques, some tell a story, and some are just plain amusing, but they all go above and beyond the typical stand-and-sing music videos plaguing YouTube and VH1 these days.

1. Here It Goes Again - OK Go

Thanks to Lindzy for inadvertently giving me the idea for this post. How much cooler can you get than choreographed treadmill dancing?!

2. A-Punk - Vampire Weekend

Could someone explain to me how they used stop-motion photography but still got the instruments and lips to sync? I'd imagine it must be hella difficult.

3. Her Morning Elegance - Oren Lavie

I never get tired of stop-motion. This one is particularly clever.

4. All Together Now - The Beatles

This video is a tribute for (and literal interpretation of) this song, directed by my good friend (and Moxie & Mayhem writer) Evan Mayhew. Yours truly was the Production Assistant and makes several cameos. All bias aside, it's a really excellent music video. Here's a link to Evan's other work http://www.youtube.com/user/EvenFilms He's got some brilliant stuff.

5. 5 Years Time - Noah and the Whale

The Wes Anderson influence in this video is obvious. For those of you who don't know, Wes Anderson directed The Life Aquatic, The Royal Tenenbaums, and The Darjeeling Limited. Very quirky, absolutely hilarious films that I highly recommend.

6. 16 Military Wives - The Decemberists

Oh, Colin Meloy, how I love thee. Finally, a music video narrative that actually has an understandable and imaginative plot!

7. I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked - Ida Maria

A vintage comic book feel, strip-dancing skeletons, bananas, and x-ray glasses make this video just as irresistibly fun and bizarre as the song itself.

8. Kiss of Life - Friendly Fires

This bright and summery song has a music video packed with vibrant color and energy to match. I also dig Ed Macfarlane's sexy dance moves.

9. Daylight - Matt and Kim

This must have been really fun to shoot. I don't know how on earth they ever managed to fit that drum set in the fridge . . .

10. Supermassive Black Hole - Muse

I'm trippin' out, man!

11. When in Rome - Nickel Creek

This is one of my favorite music videos ever. It was my introduction to Nickel Creek's music, and I just love the obvious passion in their performance. You've gotta admire Chris Thile's willingness to play mandolin while lying in a puddle on the floor of a parking structure.

1 comment:

  1. Go watch the video for Wrong by Depeche Mode. Wonderfully disturbing

    ReplyDelete